Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mythbusters, Whiz Kids, Misfits of Science, or The Secret life of an American Teenager

I watch Mythbusters pretty regularly.  I have to say that I am a fan and enjoy watching the myths being tested.  That being said.. I really like the episode in which they take on McGuyver. I think McGuyver was a great show because it was fun to watch and had a lot of critical thinking decisions that were made by Mac.  Well, on Mythbusters...Jamie and Adam stated that they enjoyed McGuyver too...it got me to thinking...were the shows from the late 70s and early 90s better for the youth than the shows that are seen today? Case in point "Whiz Kids" verses "The Secret Life of an American Teenager."  WK is about a group of friends that use a computer to solve mysteries.  TSLoaAT is about a girl that gets preganent and still attends high school.  Wk showed that kids using computers and building their own is a positive thing.  TSL is about bad decisions being a little gloried.  I am not saying that there isn't anything positive about TSL but when the series revolves around an accidental preggo girl who then has two boys almost chasing after her, how is this suppose to discourage teen pregancy?   Maybe I am looking at this wrong but sometimes I wonder if the only thing worth watching is old movies and tv series.. when I can find the whole collection.  I guess that's why I'm on the computer so much.. old well.TTYL
Mech

No comments:

Post a Comment